Monday, October 29, 2012

Reading is Sexy!

I guess being a writer, it goes without saying that I like reading.  I guess that's not true though - I adore it!  If you give me a good book, I am completely content spending a whole day on the couch paging through it.  I'm totally fine staying up til 3am to finish a book I just can't put down.  Joseba says I eat books, which I guess is true.  So, when we decided to move to Portland one thing I was sure about was that I wanted to join a book club.

Obviously, reading is not the most social hobby, but being part of a book club makes it so.  I was in a book club in NYC and loved reading new books that I probably wouldn't have picked out myself, meeting people who 1) are from the area and 2) like reading just like me!  Being new to the area made it a great way too to meet new friends.

I jumped on the never-failing Craigslist and low and behold there was a group of 30-40 year old ladies looking for awesome girls to join the book club!  It was made for me!  The clever ad about meeting to discuss with wit and wine deserved my best response so I sold myself as the awesome Amanda that I am - a girl who would be coming from living overseas, loved reading and wine equally and listed the last 5 books I had read at the time.  Here were my 5 in case you're looking for a new read:
5. At Home – Bill Bryson (non-fiction anecdotal book)
4. Look Again – Lisa Scottoline (chick-lit – think Jodi Picoult style)
3. The Happiness Project – Gretchen Rubin (non-fiction about happiness)
2. 19Q4 – Haruki Maurakami  (fiction, along the lines of 1984)
1. Night – Elie Weisel (non-fiction Holocaust book) - probably should've read this one in high school but somehow didn't!

Andrea, the book club founder replied that my coolness factor was satisfactory to join the group and told me the upcoming book for the meeting that would be a mere 4 days after we arrived in town!  I was pumped and began reading right away.  

The first meeting was fantastic - lots of nice girls, finger foods, wine and lots of shouting and discussing everything from the book to local watering holes.  I was hooked and volunteered to host the November book club event at our place.  
Since that first meeting we have read:
Where'd You Go Bernadette - Maria Semple
Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
I'm a Stranger Here Myself - Bill Bryson (this one is my pick!)

Everyone was so friendly and took me in right away.  Soon after I met with a girl from the book club for happy hour and we really hit it off.  That led to a dinner with another girl from the book club and some various friends.  And down the road, the book club celebrated one of the member's birthday with a trip for sushi and a 80s dance party!  

Not only has joining a group of girls with my love for reading been fun for getting some new reading material but it has also given me some great new friends in this city!   I've seen some magnets but am on a quest for a sticker that says the popular phrase 'Reading is Sexy' - let me know if you see one floating around somewhere!

No comments: